Excellence in Jazz Pedagogy is a series of short, targeted publications by renowned jazz educator, composer, and performer Dean Sorenson. Each book in this collection focuses on specific topics important to anyone teaching or studying jazz.
Use the books in the series as:
In Volume 1: Jazz Ensemble Auditions and Repertoire Selection, the author takes a look at the reasons for teaching jazz in school music programs, the rationale behind the grading of jazz materials, and some of the basics to starting a jazz ensemble program—in particular holding auditions and selecting repertoire. Included with each book is online access to correlated duplicable resources in the Kjos Multimedia Library
- reference guides for the working music educator.
- supplements to instrumental techniques and methods courses that are a part of music education degree programs.
- stand-alone texts for undergraduate or graduate level jazz pedagogy courses.
- introductions to jazz topics for students studying privately.
- refreshers for seasoned jazz professionals.