New for 2015, the Gretsch C65148SWB1 Wood Burned 6.5"x14" Snare Drum in Calavera finish was Developed in conjunction with legendary rock drummer Matt Sorum. These truly distinctive snare drums reflect the artist’s deep passion and concern for our planet’s ecological environment. The ornate artwork on each one of these incredibly unique snare drums is hand-burned onto the shell by famed artist and “pyrographer” Mathieu Jean. The drums are produced by the Gretsch USA Custom Shop in Ridgeland, South Carolina and finished with hand-applied Nitrocellulose lacquer. A portion of the proceeds from each drum sold will be donated to foundations supporting environmental causes.
- This drum pays homage to Mexico’s Day of the Dead with various illustrations of the famed Sugar Skull and other flourishes that celebrate the mysteries that lie South of the Border.
- Shell: 6½" × 14" 6-ply, USA Custom Maple, 30˚ Bearing Edge
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Gloss Lacquer
- Throw-Off: Gretsch Lightning
- Hardware: Chrome
- Hoops: Die-cast
- Heads: Remo® Coated Permatone Batter Remo® Clear Ambassador Resonant
About the Artist: Mathieu Jean is a compulsive artist with a rapidly expanding circle of collectors. Having navigated through a lifetime of artistic experimentation, he identifies himself more with shamans and mystics than any specific art movement. Much of the inspiration for his work is drawn from wanderings across Africa and Asia. Mathieu has enjoyed success as a photographer, teacher, painter and now pyrographer. His diversity is his strength.