NS Design's CR Series violin, available in both 4 and 5 string models, standard and fretted, is becoming the preeminent electric violin on the market today. Designed by Ned Steinberger, has a remarkable tonal range due to its innovative Polar™ pickup system, which is able to selectively capture the string vibration favored for both bow and pizzicato technique with stunning brilliance and sensitivity. The violinist who prefers the elegant tone of a fine acoustic will not be disappointed, and for those who wish to explore new sonic territory, the sky is the limit.
The solid-body NS Violin incorporates the familiar performance features of an acoustic instrument, including a removable body segment to provide the left-hand reference position of a traditional instrument. Traditional string spacing and scale length facilitate the transition from the acoustic instrument to the world of the electric violin. Direct amplification and recording capabilities allow the violinist to experience the vast range of electronic and amplified performance opportunities, yet continue to savor the essence and timeless magic of the violin.
- CR Fretted Violins
- CR Violins are available with Fretted Fingerboards
- SOLID MAPLE BODY AND NECK: The NS Violin is crafted of solid maple, with an elegant flame maple face. This lightweight solid-body design transfers the full spectrum of sound to the pickup without feedback, and is very stable even with changes in temperature and humidity. The ergonomic shoulder and chin rest provide comfortable, stable support, and a removable treble side bout is included for left hand position reference. The solid ebony fingerboard is hand graduated for consistent string articulation.
- SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The CR Violin comes equipped with the Custom Shoulder Rest which can be formed by the player to fit the body perfectly. The violin can also attach to NS Design's revolutionary Balanced Shoulder Rest which secures it effortlessly in optimal playing position.
- POLAR PICKUPS: The NS Violin features the Polar bridge-mounted piezo pickup system. The Polar pickups can sense either vertical or lateral string vibration. Set in the vertical mode, plucked notes are remarkably even and sustained. In the lateral mode, the pickup has unparalleled sensitivity in the direction of the bow, with more attack when plucked. Attack and decay can be effectively controlled with the Polar pickup system.
- ACTIVE ELECTRONICS: The dual mode preamp allows the player to choose between two very distinct tone qualities. The first mode delivers the full frequency response of modern low impedance electronics, for a rich, full-blown "electric violin" sound. The second is balanced to produce the frequency response of the traditional violin, for a more "acoustic" sound. A three-way toggle switch allows the player to select the desired pickup and electronics options. Additional controls include volume and individual bass EQ & treble EQ controls.
- PRECISION TUNING HARDWARE: With the NS Design patented tuning system, remarkably precise and stable tuning is accomplished entirely behind the bridge, in the manner similar to the fine tuners of an acoustic instrument. With the elimination of the traditional scroll and pegs, weight is shifted in towards the body of the player for optimum comfort. Any standard violin string will fit the NS Violin, although specially formulated NS Electric strings from D'Addario are recommended.