The U-44 is a compact, 4-in/4-out audio interface that enables you to record and perform wherever you are. Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, the U-44 comes equipped with the features you need to record 24-bit/96 kHz audio anywhere.
The U-44 offers the same high-quality, low-noise mic preamps as our acclaimed H5 and H6 Handy Recorders, plus compatibility with Zoom’s Interchangeable Input Capsules for incredible possibilities. Use the U-44 with your PC, Mac, or iPad via USB—or as a standalone AD/DA converter and mic preamp. No other audio interface provides this much versatility, value, and performance.
The World is Your Studio
Wherever you want to record, the bus-powered U-44 forms the perfect centerpiece of your mobile studio. Connect instruments, monitors, and other devices when you’re recording at home—or hook it up to your iPad* to make music on the go. If bus power isn’t available, the U-44 can run on just two AA batteries, allowing you to record anywhere.
* Requires 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter for power, plus an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter for connection to iPad.
Can your interface do this?
Thanks to its 10-pin Zoom connector, the U-44 is compatible with all of our interchangeable input capsules (sold separately), representing a powerful field recording setup. Choose from six capsules—X/Y, Shock Mount X/Y, Mid-Side, Shotgun, Stereo Shotgun, and Dual XLR/TRS Combo Input—each with its own unique applications. Record the audience during your live performance, or connect our SSH-6 Stereo Shotgun for dialogue and sound design on your latest film project.
Pristine Recording and Playback
Inspired by our Zoom H-series recorders, the U-44 is equipped with high-performance, low-noise mic preamps that enable recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz. You can also use U-44 as a studio-quality headphone amp and listen to your favorite music in full fidelity.
It’s All About Connections
The U-44 features a full array of inputs and outputs so you’ll always be prepared for any recording or live performance. Two combo inputs with independent gain knobs and multi-color level indicators provide flexibility for connecting mics, keyboards, and mixers. 48V phantom power can be supplied to inputs 1 and 2, and input 1 supports Hi-Z input for connecting passive guitars, basses, or other instruments. MIDI I/O jacks enable synchronization with devices like electronic keyboards, controllers, and synthesizer or sampler modules.
Multiple output options—including 1/4”, RCA, and S/PDIF—allow you to connect DJ mixers, speakers, and more. Monitoring your mixes is easy thanks to a dedicated headphone output with independent volume control. The direct monitor knob makes it possible to blend your headphone mix between the input and playback signals—perfect for live electronic music performance and DJ’ing.
Control Your Mix
With advanced monitoring options, the U-44 lets you dial in your ideal mix. Create a balanced headphone mix between your click track and main out signals during live performances. Or balance the cue and main out signals when you’re DJ’ing. The outputs of channels A and B can be muted, providing even more control. Plus, direct monitoring enables you to hear the live signal you’re recording without latency—simply adjust between the input and computer playback signals to create the perfect mix.
Standalone AD/DA Conversion. Transfer audio with total clarity
When you’re transferring audio, high-quality AD/DA conversion is critical. The U-44 functions in standalone mode as a high-quality mic preamp and AD/DA converter to ensure complete transparency when converting audio formats. You can choose between a 44.1 or 48 kHz sampling rate for conversion.
- Connect digital audio gear to analog amps and mixers
- Create digital samples for your songs
- Digitize your analog records and tapes
- Transfer archived recordings to digital
Feature-Rich Mobile Recording
The U-44 is small enough to carry in your jacket pocket or backpack—without sacrificing features. Plus, all of the connectors and knobs are strategically positioned for fast access.
Create More with Your U-44, Includes Albeton Live 9 Lite
With the U-44 and Ableton Live 9 Lite, you have everything the modern music creator needs. Record your tracks quickly and intuitively, enhancing them with studio-quality effects like EQ, compression, reverb, delay, chorus, filter, and more.
- Multi-channel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac
- Connect to iPad with Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter (sold separately), plus 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter for power
- Two mic/line inputs with high-performance mic preamps
- High-quality recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz
- Compatible with Zoom interchangeable input capsules via 10-pin connector
- Standalone AD/DA conversion
- Functions as a two-channel mic preamp with analog and digital outputs
- Approximately 4 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries
- Includes download code for Ableton Live 9 Lite
- Four-channel simultaneous inputs
- Hi-Z support (input 1)
- Zero-latency direct monitoring
- Three TRS phone jack outputs
- Dedicated RCA L/R and headphone outputs
- MIDI I/O
- S/PDIF optical/coaxial input and output
- Gain control knobs for each input
- +48V phantom power for inputs 1 and 2
- Accepts standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries