Designed to meet the demands of studio, stage, and other challenging performance environments, the NXT4 frees the violist from the limitations of an amplified acoustic viola. Based around a comfortable 16" viola string scale, key features of this instrument include the self-powered Polar™ pickup system, patented precision tuning system, sleek, ergonomic design, and comparatively light weight. Available with either a flame maple Sunburst or Satin Black finish, the NXT features a maple body, the comfortable Custom Shoulder Rest, and an adjustable-height bridge. Most important, the NXT4 Viola offers artists exceptional amplified and recorded performance quality, and extraordinary freedom of expression.
The NXT's Polar™ pickup system is driven directly by the vibration of the strings, enabling it to produce a full spectrum of sound with power and clarity. (By contrast, an acoustic viola's amplified performance is heavily dependent upon the resonant capabilities of the body of the instrument.) The NXT set up with F-C-G-D, Octave, or even G-D-A-E strings, delivers the entire range with full richness of tone. A convenient switch beside the volume and tone controls allows selection between heightened arco and pizzicato pickup sensitivity, expanding the tonal palette even further, virtually free of wolf tones.
The Custom Shoulder Rest features a foam-padded malleable aluminum base, which the player can bend and mold to the surface to the chest and shoulder. A wide range of height and angle adjustments can be made while the instrument is in playing position. The ergonomically contoured ebony chinrest is designed to work in tandem with the Custom Shoulder Rest for control, comfort and security. The NXT also accepts NS Design's revolutionary Balanced Shoulder Rest, which "floats" the instrument in the desired playing position.
As adaptable as it is powerful, the NXT adjusts easily to any violist's personal style and preferences. With a visual profile as striking as its sound, the affordable, road-ready NXT viola brings represents world-class design and craftsmanship. For the player looking for more when it comes to creative expression and exploration, the NXT is an exciting professional partner.
- Body/Neck: Solid, straight grain maple, with maple face (Black model) or flame maple face (Sunburst model) on body.
- Body Reference: Black-dyed maple bout on treble side provides standard violin reference. Easily removable for unrestricted fingerboard access.
- Fingerboard: Hand-graduated, featuring asymmetric curvature specially designed for enhanced left-hand playing ease.
- Bridge: Black-dyed maple, adjustable for preferred string height via screws accessed from the back.
- Strings: NS Electric strings standard. Compatible with standard viola strings.
- Hardware: Fine tuners are mounted on the body behind the bridge for precise, stable tuning. Automatic string clamping allows for quick, easy string changes.
- Pickup: The Polar™ pickup system, switchable between arco and pizzicato mode.
- Electronics: Self-powered circuit with high impedance output. Volume control and Tone control (treble roll off).
- Should & Chin Rest: Custom Shoulder Rest with fully adjustable padded malleable aluminum base. Contoured ebony chinrest. Also accepts the Balanced Shoulder Rest
- Case: Fabric covered hard foam core, 80cm (31.5") long, 25cm (9.75") wide, 14.6 cm (5.75") high, 2.3 kg (5.1 lbs) loaded weight. Padded, form fitting interior. Holds 2 bows, shoulder rest, output cable, and extra gear.