The solid-body NS Cello, designed by Ned Steinberger, is now available in the affordable CR Series. This remarkable instrument, available with 4, 5 or 6-strings, is able to produce the delicate and precise tones of its acoustic parent as well as to create exciting new sounds through the tone shaping geometry of its innovative Polar™ piezo pickup system.
Three interchangeable support systems provide new performance options. A fully adjustable tripod stand can be used seated or standing. The inventive shoulder strap system allows full mobility, while the conventional end pin stand provides the traditional points of cello contact and position.
The use of standard cello strings and scale length establishes a familiar starting point for the cellists journey to the electric world. From there anything goes. The energetic response of the NS Cello can be tamed to deliver a traditional cello tone, or set loose to explore new territory.
- SOLID MAPLE BODY AND NECK: The NS Cello is crafted of European maple, with a flame maple face. This solid-body design develops a rich multi-dimensional tone free from the constraints inherent in an acoustic instrument. The traditional cello scale length and neck shape have a familiar feel, while the small body allows full access to the upper register. Solid construction provides structural stability to resist changes in temperature and humidity.
- EBONY FINGERBOARD: The solid ebony fingerboard is graduated for each string for ideal playing action. Cascading dot markers provide an attractive and precise reference for fingering/intonation.
- POLAR PICKUPS: The NS Cello features the Polar bridge-mounted piezo pickup system. The Polar pickups can sense either vertical or lateral string vibration. Set in the vertical mode, plucked notes are remarkably even and sustained. In the lateral mode, the pickup has unparalleled sensitivity in the direction of the bow, with more attack when plucked. Attack and decay can be effectively controlled with the Polar pickup system.
- ACTIVE ELECTRONICS: The dual mode preamp allows the player to choose between two very distinct tone qualities. The first mode delivers the full frequency response of modern low impedance electronics, for a rich, full-blown "electric" sound. The second is balanced to produce the frequency response of the traditional cello, for a more "acoustic" sound. A threeway toggle switch allows the player to select the desired pickup and electronics options. Additional controls include volume and individual bass EQ & treble EQ controls.
THREE INTERCHANGEABLE STANDS:
- Tripod Stand: Supplied as standard equipment, the Tripod Stand provides stable support, with full height and tilt adjustment. The stand folds down to fit in the gig bag.
- End Pin Stand: An optional End Pin Stand offers the cellist a more traditional position, similar to that of an acoustic instrument. The End Pin Stand conversion kit attaches to the tripod stand to hold the instrument upright for on-stand performance or when not in use.
- Frame Strap System: A light frame structure is supported by a single guitar style strap extending over the left shoulder. This holds the cello in the correct position for both pizz. and arco styles. With the Frame Strap System you can achieve full mobility with amazing comfort.
PORTABILITY: The padded tubular gig bag is only 100 cm (40") long and 18 cm (7") in diameter, and weighs 4.6 kg (10 lbs) with the instrument and tripod stand. A storage area inside the gig bag has room for accessories. An optional hardshell flight case measures 136cm x 28cm x 27cm (53.5" x 11" x 10.5") and weighs 18 kg (40 lb) fully loaded with instrument & tripod stand.