Fantastic sounds, reliable performance, musical expressiveness, ease of use; these are the things we believe are essential to the design of an affordable keyboard instrument. Kurzweil's PC3LE8 combines the amazing sound quality and performance control features of our enormously successful PC3 with a new streamlined, intelligent user interface, providing an interactive experience that is bound to inspire creativity.
Under the hood, the PC3LE features the same groundbreaking chip technology that has made the PC3 the most talked about keyboard in recent years. All of the PC3's sounds are included - the famous Kurzweil grand piano, vintage electric pianos, Clavinets and Mellotrons, dazzling Orchestral and Strings collections, stunning VA virtual analog synths, KB3 organs, realistic basses, drums, guitars, percussion and horns, General MIDI, plus nearly 200 new programs developed specifically for the LE; over 1050 programs in all. We've improved the method for navigating through such a massive sound set; programs in the LE can be viewed and selected with a new set of Category buttons. Select "Leads" and you'll see a list of all the synth leads in the machine, grouped together. Same goes for the other 20 categories, everything from Synth Bass to Mallets to Guitars.
These programs take advantage of our V.A.S.T. synthesis engine, using pristine samples paired with detailed programming of literally hundreds of synth and effects parameters. Whether it's the rosin of a bowed string instrument, the resonant harmonics of a piano's damper pedal, or the thumps and squeaks of an electromechanical keyboard, we've done our homework and provided a level of detail and realism that can only be found in a Kurzweil. Which means you can focus on the important business of making music.
The PC3LE8 comes equipped with over 700 onboard effects chains from which to choose, all with real-time controllers already assigned to relevant parameters. With world class reverbs that decay into complete silence, warm, classic sounding phasers, flangers and choruses, and burning, saturated distortions, you'll have everything you need to make your music sound like a polished, finished product from the outset. The PC3LE8's architecture provides up to 10 insert effects, which can be distributed among 10 channels, with available auxiliary effects as well.
In the PC3, we introduced the "INFO" feature, a soft button-press that allows the user to see which controllers have been assigned to parameters within a program. For the LE, we've taken this to the next level, with an interactive user interface that communicates directly with you whenever you move a real-time controller. Turn a knob, hit a button or move a wheel and the LE's screen will display the controller, its real-time value and the parameter being affected. An example would be moving the modwheel on an organ program - you would see the following: "Modwheel 79 Distortion Drive". This system never breaks down - you can change effect chains freely and all of this info remains intact, updated to reflect the new chain you've selected. Also, this info is transferred seamlessly to Setup Mode - you can see whatever controllers have been assigned to programs used in any zone of a setup.
We wanted to give users the quickest, simplest possible way to adjust the PC3LE's sounds to suit individual tastes and needs. In any given program or effects chain, select relevant parameters have been pre-assigned real-time controllers for easy access. Move a controller and hit the SAVE button - no menus, no pages - and you get one touch sound customization.
With the PC3LE8, we're introducing a new set of dynamic physical controllers - 8 backlit, velocity-sensitive drum pads that can be used to trigger sounds, sequences, chords and arpeggiations. Every program in the machine has a drum kit assigned to the pads, so you'll always have access to a rhythm track when you need it. As a bonus, we've included a set of over 100 new drum programs, with acoustic brush kits, slammin' rock kits and a number of heavily effected techno/electronic kits, in addition to the 24 existing kits from the PC3. Just as we put a great deal of effort into making sure that our keyboard action feels just right, the drum pads were implemented with precision and care, with utmost attention given to how they feel when played. After all, this is a musical instrument and not just a piece of technology.
Saving, loading and updating the OS are all made easy on the LE with the inclusion of both USB Host and Device ports. You can save your user programs, setups and songs to a USB thumb-drive or directly to a computer. OS updates can be loaded from a thumb-drive or directly from your computer, and of course the LE sends and receives MIDI over USB. Standard MIDI jacks are also included for In, Out and Thru. For audio, the PC3LE8 features high-quality, hum-canceling, stereo balanced analog outputs, with 24-bit DACs as well as a 24-bit stereo S/PDIF digital output at 48K.
- Keyboard: 88-note fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity and aftertouch sensitive keys. (Fatar TP40L)
- Display: 240 x 64 backlit LED w/ dedicated back panel contrast control
- Polyphony: 64 Voice Polyphony, dynamically allocated, lightning fast performance
- Multitimbral: 16 parts (one per MIDI channel)
- Desktop Editor: (New in O/S V2) - Mac and PC platforms (available for purchase from SoundTower)
- Factory Presets: 1061; the majority of the PC3 sound set is included (download full "object list" here).
- Factory MIDI Setups: 256 factory programmed MIDI setups. - featuring up to 16 independent zones, effects, independent controller assignments, triggerable pattern-based "Riffs" and arpeggiator settings.
- General MIDI: Standard
- User Memory: 16,000 locations for user objects.
- Sequencer: 16 tracks; 960 PPQ resolution
- Effects: 10 insert effects distributed over 10 busses, two auxiliary sends; featuring over 500 of our award winning preset FX chains
- Controllers: Pitch wheel, modulation wheel, 5 front panel knobs (15 virtual knobs with a 3-tiered shift button), 7 front panel switches (12 virtual switches with a 2-tiered shift button), 2 switch pedal inputs, 1 continuous control pedal input and mono pressure.
- Arpeggiator: 16 full-featured independent arpeggiators with multiple latch modes, selectable play order, velocity, duration, tempo, and sync functions as well as pre-recorded beats and musical phrases
- Riffs: 16 simultaneous "Riff" generators (used for triggering MIDI sequenced phrases, beats, or complete multi-track arrangements from notes on the keyboard and/or any on-board physical controller)
- Analog Outputs: Two 1/4" balanced TRS analog (24-bit DACs)
- Headphones: 1 rear panel 1/4" headphone output
- Digital Outputs: 24-bit, stereo S/PDIF at 48K (internal clock)
- MIDI: In, Out, Thru
- USB Computer Port: MIDI over USB. Also allows the PC3LE to load/save data directly to and from a Mac/PC as well as perform OS updates.
- USB Storage Port: Supports USB thumb-drives for loading/saving user data as well as performing OS updates.
- FREE OS Updates: Flash ROM upgradeable via direct-USB or thumb-drive