Answering the call of remote recording engineers, the TASCAM HD-P2 Portable High-Definition Stereo Audio Recorder is the professional solution for challenging live and on-location applications. Co-developed with Frontier Design Group, it records at up to 192kHz/24-bit resolution to Compact Flash media, and its audio files are instantly available to DAWs through the built-in high-speed FireWire computer connection. Unlike consumer MP3 sketchpads, the professional HD-P2 incorporates high-end features like a SMPTE timecode input for synchronization to external devices while in record or playback. The user interface is designed for fast and intuitive use under stressful one-take-only situations, and its large, angled LCD is perfect for any application from over-the-shoulder location recording to concert recording and commercial use.
The HD-P2 records in stereo from 44.1kHz to 192kHz, at 16- or 24-bit, to affordable Compact Flash media. Not only is Compact Flash absolutely silent, so no transport noise will show up on your recording, but the recorded audio is written directly as Broadcast WAVE files for immediate use in digital audio workstations. The unit even includes a FireWire jack for the fastest possible transfer of files to your PC or Mac computer.
On the input side, the unit has a pair of XLR mic inputs with phantom power and analog peak limiting to curb distortion during unpredictable live events. The input level control allows the user to change the level without taking their eyes off the action. The HD-P2 also features unbalanced RCA ins and outs as well as S/PDIF digital I/O. Monitoring is available through a headphone out - again, with its own ergonomic level control - using a built-in speaker. A built-in microphone is also provided for interviews and educational use.
TASCAM's HD-P2 comes standard with a full-featured timecode input - making it the most affordable recorder with built-in timecode ever made. Incoming LTC is connected to the locking XLR input for timestamping your Broascast WAVE files from a central clock. Not only does the recorder timestamp your recorded audio with sample accuracy, the HD-P2 chases incoming timecode during playback for review or loading into an editor. A video clock input allows frame edge resolve to a central blackburst source or use as a lock-and-release timecode slave. There's also a freewheel setting for use with unpredictable timecode sources.
The HD-P2's 192kHz/24-bit recording resolution is so precise, you can almost hear what brand of cork was used for the conductor's baton. Its Compact Flash transport doesn't make any noise, so you don't need to worry about machine noise on the recording. The high-quality mic preamps provide phantom power to handle sensitive condenser microphones, and the analog limiter protects the recording against sudden transient distortion. With the high capacity of today's Compact Flash media, you might even be able to enjoy the performance without constantly watching the time remaining meter.
- Stereo recording to Compact Flash media
- 44.1kHz to 192kHz recording resolution at 16- or 24-bit
- Time-stamped Broadcast WAVE file format is easily imported into DAW software and spotted into projects with sample accuracy
- Retake button allows user to re-do last recording with a single button press
- Audio files continually re-saved to safeguard against data loss
- Comprehensive system and transport control from the front panel or a PS/2 keyboard
- XLR mic inputs with phantom power and analog peak limiter
- Unbalanced stereo RCA I/O
- S/PDIF digital I/O
- Built-in mono microphone and speaker for desktop interview applications
- Analog level controls for easy operation without the need to look at the unit
- FireWire interface for fast data transfer to a computer
- SMPTE/LTC timecode input on locking XLR balanced jack
- Timestamps Broadcast WAVE recordings from SMPTE input
- Chase locks to incoming SMPTE timecode
- Video clock input resolves to house clock
- Tri-level sync support for HDTV applications
- Includes Frame Lock, Lock and Release and flexible Freewheel settings for unpredictable timecode sources
- Pull-up and Pull-down sample rates included for video format compatibility
- Shortcut keys and LED indicators for frequently-accessed functions
- Optional carry case (CS-P2)
- Runs on (8) readily available AA batteries or DC power adapter
- Approximately 5.5 hours of operating time on battery power
- 10.25"W x 7.75"D x 2.5"H