Originally released in 1974, the D&S II Distortion & Sustainer II is a precursor to the amp-overdrive simulators of later years. With its mild drive, relaxed sustain and high output, the D&S II sits the fence between an overdrive and a distortion. This unique "split personality" makes the D&S II perfect for players that seek a natural-feeling drive sound but with more drive and output than an OD generally provides.
The D&S II accomplishes this task with some unique circuit refinements not typically found in distortions. Like a standard distortion, the D&S II features a diode-clipping stage after the amplifier section of the circuit. However, rather than using the silicon diodes commonly found in today's circuits, the D&S II uses germanium diodes in this clipping stage. The threshold voltage for clipping is 0.1 - 0.2V with germanium and 0.7 - 0.8V with silicon, so the germanium can distort even low level tones, thus making a smoother distortion. In addition, the germanium's rectifier characteristic is inferior to silicon (voltage drop with negative current is not as sharp as that of silicon) - this shortcoming ironically works favorably for the D&S II, creating a somewhat rounded waveform of the clipped signal that contributes to the unit's warm, natural distortion. Due to their "inferior" characteristics, germanium diodes are now a very rare component and have generally been replaced with silicon diodes in other manufacturer's circuits. Ironically, it is these shortcomings that give the D&S II its signature sound.
Also unique to the D&S II is its tone control. While most other overdrives and distortions feature hi boost/hi cut tone circuits, the D&S II tone control uses a low range boost/cut circuit for added bottom end. In addition, the D&S II's tone circuit features the JRC4558 IC chip, generally regarded as sonically superior to other op amp models. The combination of these two elements creates a pedal with more low-end punch than your typical overdrive.
- Input Impedance 500K Ohms
- Input Jack 1/4 inch standard phone jack
- Output Impedance 10K Ohms
- Output Jack 1/4 inch standard phone jack
- Controls Distortion, Tone, Balance
- Switch Normal/Effect
- Noise (IHF-A) -110 dBu
- Max Amplitude 40 dB
- Power Supply 9V Manganese dry cell battery (S-006P) or special AC adaptor
- Power Voltage DC9 V (Battery) / DC10 V (AC-adaptor)
- Current Consumption 7 mA (9V) / 8 mA (10 V)
- AC Adaptor AC210N (option) Input: AC120V Output: DC9V/200 mA Center - / Sleeve +)
- Dimensions (main body) 61 mm (W) x 112 mm (D) x 35 mm (H)
- Dimensions (whole) 70 mm (W) x 112 mm (D) x 55 mm (H)
- Weight 290 g
- Accessories 9V Manganese dry cell battery (S-006P) x 1
- Non-skid pad x 1
- Warranty Card x 1
- User's Manual x 1